First, I love “The James Altucher Show”. He’s got great guests and interesting topics. At this time code of episode 213 – A. J. Jacobs: How to Connect With The Greatest Network in The World, they talk about a few ideas that I really like:
- “Kill your darlings” – If something you love doesn’t fit the narrative / project / theme / desired outcome, get rid of it, even if you REALLY love it. If it doesn’t fit, don’t force it just because you want it.
- Take things in an unexpected direction – People like ‘mystery’. People won’t hang on if they already know where you’re going. Keep them guessing.
- After interviewing someone, write down the 5 things that stood out most – There are gems in most conversations. Write them down! Look back on them. Keep track of them. Focus on learning something from those opportunities you have to converse with someone who has different insights than you.
- Be hands off when you find talented people; let them do their thing – If you bring in someone to do something that you can’t, trust them. Leave them alone. Let them excel.
- Sacrifice yourself for the greater good – Don’t worry about being the important one. Just get the job done. I’ve always loved the saying “There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit”